Sometimes, it’s hard to find really great natural, non-toxic makeup products! So I have taken the time and invested in various different mascaras to test and see how they hold up throughout the day and even with a little water splashed on the face – there is nothing worse than mascara running down your face!
I have tried many natural mascaras, some great ones and some not so great ones. Here is a list of my top 5 that I would recommend! I will work on a list of ones I wasn’t a fan of and continue trying other brands and update this post as I go! Until then, I hope you find this helpful. Enjoy!
- Sweet Leilani Island Eyes Mascara
- This is my top go-to mascara. I have been using it for over a year now. The formula is amazing, doesn’t clump and is water resistant. I have gotten my face wet with this stuff and it doesn’t run down my face at all. Sweet Leilani is also a local company based in Langley BC and works closely with her chemists to formulate all her own products. They are cruelty free, paraben free, vegan, gluten free and synthetic fragrance free. Put on 3 coats of it for an extra dramatic look! All natural, non toxic and infused with great nourishing ingredients! Let’s take a look at what’s in it:
- Water, Iron Oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, Euphorbia Cerifera Candelilla Extract, Stearic Acid, Copernicia Cerifera, ( Carnauba wax ), Panthenol, Equisetum Hye Male Whole Extract, Camelia Oleifera (Green Tea) Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Rosa Canina ( Rose Hip) Fruit Extract, Silica, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891.
- Elate Essential Mascara
- I recently just tried this mascara and am super impressed with it. It goes up super nice, doesn’t clump, and stays put all day! Elate is also a BC company based in Victoria and they strive to provide clean cosmetics to those looking for safer alternatives. They are cruelty free, vegan, toxin free, and gluten free. Their products also come in very cute, eco-friendly packaging! Let’s take a look at their ingredients here:
- Aqua (Water), Oryza Sativa Wax (Rice Bran Wax), Olea Europea Fruit Oil (Olive Oil), Vegetable Source Cetyl Alcohol (Coconut),Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba Wax), Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla Wax), Vegetable Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Acacia Gum, Black Iron Oxide (CI 77499), Aminomethyl Popandiol (Ph Adjuster), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative).
- Evelyn Iona Natural & Organic Coffee Mascara
- I absolutely love this mascara, however, I am not a fan of this Canadian company that moved their manufacturing to the US and they charge in US dollars on their website. Otherwise this would move to #2. Their formula is fantastic though, for any of my US fans, highly recommend trying this one!!!! Stays put all day and does not clump! Let’s check out their ingredients:
- Water (Aqua), Chamomile Hydrosol (Matricaria Recutita)*, Cera Alba (Beeswax)*, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Mica (CI 77019), Coffea Arabica (Coffee Powder)*, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Powder*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch*, Lecithin, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Origanum Vulgare Leaf Extract, Thymus Vulgaris Extract, Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Bark Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis Root Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract*, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract*. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), (CI 77491), (CI 77492).
- Jane Iredale Purelash Mascara
- This is such a great mascara, it was one of the first natural options I had tried and was my favourite until I decided to go on the hunt for all the great natural mascaras out there. I also prefer local, Canadian brands over US ones. This line is spa exclusive which means you will only find it in spas and the products can be a bit pricey. Their mascara however, is $25 which is totally reasonable for a great product!! Let’s see what they put in it:
- Aqua/Water/Eau, Algae Extract, Copernicia Cerifera Cera, Glycerin, Pvp, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Raphanus Sativus (Radish) Root Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Bisabolol. [+/- (May Contain) Iron Oxides (Ci 77489, Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499)]
- Pacifica Stellar Gaze Mascara
- This mascara I picked up at a Shoppers Drug Mart and I am very impressed with it! 100% vegan and cruelty free. A great non-toxic alternative available at the drug store! This company is based in the US so online shopping is in US dollars, you’re better off looking for it locally in Canada. Here is a list of their ingredients:
- AQUA, GLYCERIN (VEGETABLE), GLYCERYL STEARATE SE, JOJOBA ESTERS, TAPIOCA STARCH, STEARIC ACID ( VEGETABLE), COPERNICIA CERFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX, EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX, ARABIC/ACACIA GUM, ACRYLATES, CROSSPOLYMER, POTASSIUM CETYL PHOSPHATE, MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULSE (PLANT), COCOS NUCIFERA (COCONUT) OIL, PANTHENOL (VITAMIN B), CELLULOSE GUM, GLUCONOLACTONE, MACROCYSTIS PYIFERA (BROWN KELP) EXTRACT, HYDROLYZED ORYZA SATIVA (RICE) PROTEIN, SODIUM BENZOATE, IRON OXIDES C1 77499.